This last month has been a reminder that opportunities don’t tend to be spread out evenly throughout the year. They come in spurts – and can be overwhelming. I’m very goal oriented and each year I set out to publish a certain number of articles in industry publications, speak at a certain number of conferences, and successfully pitch a specific number of stories about our clients’ initiatives to various magazines. Usually, I’ll get a few months into the year and feel like I’m not tracking well on those goals; then the sky will open up and opportunities will come from every direction.
I was feeling that way two months ago. Then, all hell broke loose. Here’s what I’ve been working on during that time:
- An article for eHealthcare Strategy and Trends magazine on Technology and Innovation in Care Delivery. That story is expected to come out in the publication’s June issue. For this story, I interviewed Dr. Tony Slonim, CEO of Renown Health.
- An article of Healthcare Marketing Report, co-authored with my colleague, Kate Gillmer, on the role of healthcare marketers in driving community health partnerships. That article has been written and accepted for publication. It should appear in the next four to five months. Within this article, we tell the story of Copley Hospital’s community health blog that brings together a significant number of community organizations, businesses, and non-profits interested in addressing upstream causes of poor health.
- An article for the peer-reviewed journal, Management in Healthcare, on the topic of using digital communication tools to engage referring physicians. Going through the review process was interesting, and added a new set of challenges. The article will be published in an upcoming issue. It is currently going through the copy-editing and proof-reading process. I’m glad to say that it is out of my hands at this point in time.
- A story pitch to Healthcare Marketing Report on Lawrence General Hospital’s new branding campaign. That story was published in the May issue of Healthcare Marketing Report.
- An article/blog post for SHSMD’s Viewpoint: Strategies for Success Blog. I’m writing a cautionary tale about content marketing.
On top of that:
- Last weekend I judged the Digital Health Awards. I’ve been on this judging panel for a number of years and love participating. It is interesting and instructive to review the best digital work from organizations across the country – from pharma firms to hospitals and health systems.
- Last week I presented at the 2017 Healthcare Marketing and Physician Strategies Summit in Austin, Texas. It was a ton of fun!
- And I received word that I’ll be presenting at the 2017 SHSMD Conference in Orlando. This will be very cool because I am presenting with marketing leaders from the New Hampshire Hospital Association and the North Carolina Hospital Association. We’re going to be talking about advocacy marketing. I can’t wait!
See, opportunities really do come in spurts. It is the way of the world. However, it is up to you to lay the foundation! Do the foundational work and the results will come in time. That has certainly been my experience.