Each year as we head into the annual SHSMD Conference, I like to publish a list of people to meet while you’re attending the conference. This is a great opportunity to network, and I like to help move the process along, facilitating introductions. So check out my latest list of 10 people to introduce yourself to at this year’s SHSMD Conference in Chicago.
- Cynthia Wade, Academy Award Winning Filmmaker, Cynthia Wade Productions – Cynthia and I are participating in a workshop on video as a storytelling platform. How many times do you get to meet an Academy Award Winner? This one could be making films for your hospital!
- Peter Brumleve, Chief Marketing Officer, University Hospitals of Cleveland – Peter and I met a year ago at a healthcare marketing conference; I believe it was the Healthcare Marketing Strategies Summit. We both attended a dinner put on by Truven. He is a really sharp marketer. Peter is a panelist in the Thought Leaders Forum on Sunday afternoon at 2pm.
- Lorraine McGrath, Director of Marketing, Signature Healthcare – Signature has been doing some amazing work with online community building using blogs and social media. They’ve also done some great work in the area of physician marketing. Lorraine is helping this relatively small health system bring innovation to their marketing.
- Bonita Brodt, Direct of Communications, Northwestern Memorial Hospital – Bonita is one of the co-presenters on my pre-conference workshop (Engagement through High-Impact Storytelling). She is a former journalist and Pulitzer Prize finalist!
- Ben Dillon, Vice President, eHealth Evangelist, Geonetric – Ben is a friend, and a really sharp marketer. You should know him. He is presenting on Monday at 2:15pm (Using Digital Marketing for Service Line Growth).
- Dean Browell, Executive Vice President, Feedback – Dean is one of my favorite people in the healthcare marketing world. He is also one of the smartest! At the same time, he’s a normal guy; a self-professed nerd. Dean is presenting on Digital & Web Strategy at 2:15pm on Monday.
- Moses Hohman, CEO & Founder, Human Practice – Moses and I met last year at a conference. He tracked me down after my session and introduced himself. Since then we’ve continued to talk. We have a shared interest in marketing physicians to patients. He is presenting on that subject (I plan to be there) at 9am on Wednesday.
- Bill Gombeski, Director of Marketing, UK HealthCare – I’ve met Bill many times and he never remembers me. When I would write articles for Marketing Health Services, he was my editor. He was part of the Truven dinner crowd where I met Peter Brumleve. (Going to dinners is a great way to meet people!) Bill is presenting at 9am on Wednesday on “Determining the Value of Your Brand.”
- Dana Smith, Hospital Development Manager, Spirit of Women – In 2013 I spoke at two Spirit of Women conferences and Dana Smith is the reason why. She is one dynamic marketer, representing an incredibly dynamic organization. Spirit of Women will have a booth at the conference. I recommend that you swing by there and say hello.
- Linda MacCracken, Vice President, Truven – I’ve already mentioned Truven a couple of times in this post. Linda is my connection to Truven, formerly Thomson Reuters Healthcare. Linda is scary smart; rocket scientist smart. Meanwhile, I am a commoner just happy to be in her presence. If you’ve never met Linda and don’t know much about the work they do at Truven, this is your opportunity. Linda is presenting on Monday at 4pm. The topic is “Innovation When and Where It Counts: Physician-enabled Business Development.” You might need prerequisites to get into this session!
There are so many incredible people to meet and learn from at SHSMD 2013. Make the most of it. And there are so many people I haven’t mentioned like my friends Karen Corrigan, Lyle Green, Gabrielle DeTora, Chris Bevolo, Joel Cessna, and Jill Lawlor, to name a few.
Have fun and I hope to see you there.