The 5th Tufts Summer Institute on Digital Strategies for Health Communication Course will take place in Boston, July 14-19, 2013. It’s offered through the Health Communication Program at Tufts University School of Medicine and meets on the Tufts Boston campus. A digital health professional that I greatly respect, Lisa Gualtieri, PhD, ScM, teaches the course. Lisa is an Assistant Professor at Tufts University School of Medicine in the Health Communication Program. In addition to this course, she teaches Online Consumer Health, Social Media and Health, and Mobile Health Design. You can check out her blog by going to http://lisagualtieri.com/.
Students taking part in this course will learn how healthcare and public health organizations develop and implement digital strategies to drive the success of their online presence.
Tufts faculty and guest speakers will cover the following topics:
- Use the web, social media, and mobile devices to communicate with and connect to patients.
- Develop a coherent and justifiable digital strategy for health communication.
- Select, use, manage, and evaluate the effectiveness of technologies.
- Define your mobile presence with apps and mobile-enabled sites.
- Employ research-based methodologies such as persona development and formative evaluation.
- Use best practices from leading health organizations including Consumer Reports, Harvard Health Publications, ABC Health News, and CDC.
Class size is limited to 20. About 1/3 of the class will be graduate students from Tufts University School of Medicine and Emerson College who will do pre-work and a final paper for course credit. The rest are healthcare professionals. Past summer institute students came from organizations including Lahey Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Fenway Health Center, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Medtronic Diabetes Western Europe, and the CDC.
Enroll in the Summer Institute online. Tuition costs $2,260 non-credit, $1,810 early discount before June 5, 2013. Contact the course director, Lisa Gualtieri, with any questions about the course. For registration questions, contact the Tufts Public Health and Professional Degree Programs Registrar, Janice Gilkes, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 636-0935.